View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #363 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

The cooling qualities of extra capacity come down to stability.

The extra oil will certainly not change baseline operating temps of the oil, of course. What it does is take longer to heat up, and longer to cool down. For momentary spirited runs, such as high power street applications, this will equate to more stable temps. On the track, it will take a few moments longer to heat up that extra oil... but in moments of high airflow to your core, it will also take longer to shed that heat.

Adding oil capacity by only enlarging the floor plan of the oil pan is, technically, one of the worst ways to add capacity if you are trying to stay away from oil starvation. It is JUST like with fuel systems, and how a surge can is able to prevent starvation by having a smaller floor plan. If you want to control a fluids lateral position, the most logical way to do so, when applicable, is to tighten up how much room it has to travel. Adding capacity through DEPTH is better because it actually IMPROVES fluid control by giving the fluid no extra room to escape the pickup point, but also having more depth (higher walls) making it harder for the fluid to escape, AND the extra capacity acts to deepen your reserve around the pickup. With the large wing oil pans, your extra oil is way over there, not where you want it. Meaning this added capacity ONLY serves as added capacity, and comes at sacrifice of your fluid control. During moments where the oil is having a difficult time making it back to the sump, you dont want whatever oil IS in the sump to be hiding in some wing/pocket thats 10 inches away from the pickup... you want whatever you have as close as possible.

There is, no doubt, that an oil pan spacer is a better way to increase oil capacity than widening the pan. The arguments come into play when you start considering things like ground clearance and packaging. In theory, if you spaced your lower pan and pickup an entire foot deeper, you will find that you would never need a baffle at all. The theory behind a dry sump is basically the same as this example, its just that the sump is mounted remotely, because nobody has 12" of space under their crankshaft.

This posts can serve of why I have never been a fan of the extended oil pans... APS started this with the VQ's. I like the Greddy pans personally. For the VHR they only have the wings going out maybe 1.5". They squared off the bottom corners which adds more, and they just barely lowered it. If I had to guess I would say maybe .5-.75 quart extra capacity? If I made a pan, it would probably be a sheet metal / billet version of the greddy where the turbo returns are optional.

Last edited by phunk; 01-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote