View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
mts
Base Member

Drives: Porsche 911
mts has a spectacular aura aboutmts has a spectacular aura aboutmts has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_lee View Post
Wow that looks great! Thanks for the review.
Very envious of that bend-pak - how do you feel about that lift? Worth the price paid, or would you recommend another unit?
I've had both BendPak (symmetric 2-post floor plate) and Rotary lifts (asymmetric 2-post top cable) and did a lot of research before purchasing both. I think either make an excellent purchase. The fit and finish on the Rotary is slightly better, but the BendPak is actually a bit beefier. It also comes with better standard arm attachments in my opinion. Since it's generally less expensive than a Rotary, it makes a better buy in my opinion. Greg Smith and Fast Foward also make very good lifts, but I have no first hand experience with those. I crossed a few other big name brands off my list due to friends having bad experiences (I have a couple friends that are car service managers....one with Porsche and the other with Mazda/Ford/Nissan so they've seen just about everything out there and were helpful when it came time to buy one).

I would avoid a floor plate lift if you can. I had to get one this time as my ceiling is just over 11' in this garage and could not accommodate a top cable lift (really need to be 12'+ for those). The floor plate lifts work equally well and I can get full rise on mine with a car (obviously not with a truck or SUV though). The problem is the floor plate is much tougher to clean around and just having the plate there it's in the way on the all time. That may not sound like much but I tackled some messy jobs (like completely cleaning the underside of my 911 when I first got it) on the Rotary top cable that I would never try on this floor plate lift. With the top cable I just hosed things off afterward.....no big deal.

I would also get an asymmetric over a symmetric. It gives you more options on where you local the lift and lets you open the car doors more easily if the lift also doubles as a parking spot when not in use.

If I were buying another lift right now (and garage height wasn't an issue) I would definitely go with the top cable BendPak XPR-10A-168. No question about it. Given a height limitation, my BendPak XPR-9 would still be my top choice as it will work in a garage with as little as 9 1/2' clearance and the concrete requirements aren't too bad (the bigger higher rated lifts have some tough concrete requirements as you might expect).

Hope that helps.
mts is offline   Reply With Quote