View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Apollo8642
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Nismo #280
Apollo8642 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
BTW, your math would not give the "exact" moment of intertia for a real rim, as you claim. You need to take into account the mass profile. The math isn't terribly tricky but getting the right numbers is challenging. It's a lot easier to measure.
Now your putting words in my mouth, and I did say you have to take mass in account. It seems like your having an issue understanding this is not a disk, or a hoop. It's not just about the rim size but it's the tire size diameter and width, that will in the end dictate the moment of inertia. If your going to do it, do it right is all I'm saying.

Quote:
The intertial differences are a large part of the motivation to use smaller tires, whether the average weekend warrior understands that or not is irrelevant to the physics. Regardless of whether someone can articulate that reasoning is irrelevant--it is a driving force for the use of smaller wheels on track.
That's a great and all, but why is it that race teams have been putting larger diameter rims on races cars, and every decade they seem to get just little bigger?
Apollo8642 is offline   Reply With Quote