View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Apollo8642
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Nismo #280
Apollo8642 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
He's referencing the change in MOI as the mass distribution shifts outward. The effect is right, the wording just not perfect.

What he's describing is I believe centripetal force, and not radius of gyration in the moment of inertia. As I said before that answer would fail you in physics pertaining to the physics of a wheel.

This statement by synolimit is really a waste of time. The the avarage person wouldn't think of moment of inertia, or the radius of gyration of unless they are an engineer, or have and OCD compulsion issue. It's kinda pointless, and I doubt that anyone really gives a sh!t, even about this waste of time of a post, arguing this matter.
People are going to look at style, weight, build quality, and price before they look at the actual physics of the rim and how it fuctions on their car. If that was so important way aren't people running in board brakes and small wheels on there cars.. I truth they aren't, they are running large rims i.e. the Le Mans Corvette Racing Z1 is runs 19x10 and 20x12.

The real point I'm making is that synolimit is posting something again, and I have a raging hard on for this guy, specially when he spews pointless often off basis BS that often time brings, or adds nothing to conversion, in my opinion. Here's an example. The difference of the moment of inertia of a 18" rim to a 19" rim is very small, and really as no bearing on if you should or shouldn't run a 18" or 19" rim, if that's what he was refering to. It would have more to do with the size of the tire you ran on the rim, the compound of the said tire, and it's total circumference as a whole. But that's wasn't the question, the question was why are 18" wheels more popular on the track, so lets talk about more sh!t that doesn't really matter.

In my defence I don't know sh!t from a shoe, but I do like to pick on synolimit, cause he makes it so easy. Thanks synolimit.

Last edited by Apollo8642; 11-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Apollo8642 is offline   Reply With Quote