View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #85 (permalink)
Slynky
Track Member

Drives: 2010 Red 370Z T/S/N
Slynky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
While that was meant to be (and taken as) a joke, let me emphasize that this thread was not meant to demand perfect spelling/grammar. Wasn't meant to demand anything at all, hence the "Suggestions" in the title. In this particular case, it was pretty easy to figure out what was meant and the rest of the comment was readable, so I chalked it up to a typo and went on. But, yeah, spelling/grammar errors in a thread complaining about spelling/grammar errors are rather humorous.

I was only trying to point out that people will be better able to communicate if they try to use proper English (or whatever language their audience is using). I hope my suggestions for avoiding the most common errors I've noticed will help someone. Yeah, I realize that those that need it the most are the least likely to read it (or act on it if they do read it) but it made me feel better to type it out.

My intent was certainly not to muster a Grammar Nazi Posse to correct minor errors. We all make errors, whether through carelessness or ignorance. All I'm asking is that people try to write something that others can understand. I'm not trying to force anyone to use proper English - I can always put the worst offenders on my ignore list if I feel like it - I'm just trying to help them get the car help they want by effectively describing the problem and/or asking questions that make sense.

Whew! I figured this thread would get a few comments but nothing like this.
I think there might be a rule to understand here: "The more illiterate or lazy a poster is, the more likely an objection to the use of proper grammar will be made."

I hear (read) over and over the excuse (for ignorance and laziness) that their posts are fine as long as people can understand the meaning. I think it's rude and inconsiderate to hurry through your posts so you can get done as quickly as possible without any regard to the multiple number of people who will then have to expend MORE of their time deciphering it.

I think the OP understands quite well that typos will occur and that any reader can accept those kinds of errors without complainng (like I just did on purpose to the left). The OP isn't appealing to that group of people to improve their post readability. His complaint, I believe, is directed more at those people who refuse to capitalize any words, misspell words routinely, or use any punctuation (or, dear Lord, the combination of all).

Now, for a little fun, I have preserved the WORST post I've ever tried to read for your enjoyment. It comes from the Hot Wheels site:

Quote:
for Wall Mart to get cases they must order them talked to 3 people in toy dept 0ne person was their not been in toys for 3 years she can not do orders must be in that dept manger same thing will not order woman works their order a case show on the price gun nothing in back stock this is going on in a lot of walmarts from moving people in to other dept

And now...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Slynky is offline   Reply With Quote