View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #57 (permalink)
zeeder
Enthusiast Member

Drives: ‘13 370Z ST 6M
zeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond reputezeeder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
which i suppose brings us to the next question...

wat is your definition of an upgrade?
wat is your definition of a modification?

my defintion of mods include upgrades. any improvement over stock is a mod.
I suppose I should preface this with saying that I haven't historically been much in to "modding" so I could very well be using the terms differently than most.

If we use the dictionary definition of modification then any change from factory spec is a modification and using higher quality components in lieu of factory spec is an upgrade. That said, I've always assumed that "mod", "mods" or "modding" were all more specific terms that related to changing/improving either aesthetics or car systems. It's definitely and interesting semantic argument.

For instance, if you take the viewpoint I've been using then K&N filters and Z1 post-MAF tubes are upgrades whereas Stillen G3 intakes are mods. Like you suggested, if we use any upgrade is a mod then going to a better engine fluid is a mod and if we use the dictionary definition any deviation from factory spec is a mod.

I'm probably overthinking it...lol.

Edit: I have a weakness/enjoyment for semantic arguments so if anyone gets fed up just tell me to !

Last edited by zeeder; 11-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.
zeeder is offline   Reply With Quote