View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
Relax, I am sharing my experience mate. And yes, it certainly can. There are different grades of stainless steel. 304 which is the lowest grade may very well stain or rust in environments of high salinity, little oxygen and low circulation. One car I saw it occur on was an 04 STi downpipe. Clearly won't happen to everyone, but it's not impossible. Most race cars I see don't use wrap anyway so I am not a huge believer in it, but that's just my $.02.
I'm fine and I'm sharing too saying you're incorrect. 304 is 100% NOT the lowest grade! It's one of the best right behind 316Ti used for turbo headers and jet engines because 1600*+ can crack 304. Pretty sure you're thinking of 409ss which is right above mild steel. 304 can surface rust but that's because things stick to it and rust. It'd take 1000 years to break all the way through. And here's what I mean, 304ss exhaust with surface rust from who knows what sticking to it...

A light polish gets everything off the steel and brings the shine back out. Again it'd take 1000 years and 1000 polishes to get through 16 gauge 304.

And race cars don't drive on the street or use a 370z. The under hood temps of these cars suck along with their oil cooling system. Running an unwrapped header in THIS car is just plan retarded!

Last edited by synolimit; 12-04-2015 at 03:57 PM.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote