View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
edk370
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z
edk370 is a splendid one to beholdedk370 is a splendid one to beholdedk370 is a splendid one to beholdedk370 is a splendid one to beholdedk370 is a splendid one to beholdedk370 is a splendid one to behold

My friend works at Fletcher Jones Mercedes in Newport Beach, CA (this is an affluent area if you're unfamiliar with S California). He's been there since the mid 90s. He was originally a car salesman, then a finance and insurance guy, and now a GM there.

This is how he breaks it down, while pulling no punches. When he was a sales man (he started off at the Porsche store, and it was called Newport Beach Import group back then) in the mid to late 90s, he said that wannabes (those who make working-class money i.e. sub $100k/yr., but probably a lot less than that) buy either used Porsches or sparsely optioned Boxsters. But almost always, it's the Boxster that they buy; this is when Boxsters were first introduced. No offense to those to switched from 370 to Boxster or Caymann.

He said the real ballers, those who buy the 911s, on average made well over 1/2 a mill per year. This was the mid to late 90s mind you. And, he said that it's not unusual to come across people who make more than 1 mill a year.

911 drivers, usually got chedda. Boxster and Caymann guys can either be "enthusiasts" who think these models got more character than the 911, or working class guys who want something with more badge-appeal than a Nissan.

I don't mean to offend anyone on here, if I rubbed you the wrong way.
edk370 is offline   Reply With Quote