Thread: Ask a cop
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #67 (permalink)
Wonka2581
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: MY WIFE CRAZY....
Wonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond reputeWonka2581 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dP3NGU1N View Post
A question for all the LEOs. Do you really have ticket quotas you have to fill? Can you elaborate on the structure? Is it monthly? weekly? How many do you need (I suppose this varies by city). Is it a dollar amount or strictly a numbers game?

I'm seriously annoyed that it seems like traffic citations, by and large, are basically legalized extortion schemes for cities to make money. Now I recognize that this is not the fault of the officers but it doesn't make it any less of an issue.
A U.S. suprime court set a federal law on ticket quotas. It is up to the officer to cite you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmea? View Post
Wonka! I love this thread. Repped.
Cell! Thanks for chiming in. Repped as well.

My question has nothing to do with being stopped or the legality around stops. More about safety and being aware of your surroundings. Any best practices that you can share from your point of view aside from keeping distance, monitoring speed, etc. I just wonder what you look for as an officer. What do you look out for or pay attention to? How far ahead and behind do you look?
Good question,
I am always on my toes. LEOS dont have the safest job in the world. When Im working im always scanning for violations. There is not set distance. But when I'm around people I try to keep a reactionary gap of 4-6 feet when Im dealing with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&Mrs View Post
1) Are you supposed to chase someone driving 30+ over the speed limit? Or is there any number you are to not persue?

2) What is your magic number and your general "force's" number on pulling a speeding driver as long as there is nothing wreckless envolved? 1-3 over 5-7 over 10-13 over etc.

Thanks
Diffrent Law Enforcement agencies have diffrent policys, My agencie had a very liberal policy, check with your local agency and ask what the persuit policy is also it depends on the charges, I.E. if the person just walked into a store and shot lets say 5 people then there is a very good chance he will do it again. Police will persue no matter what speeds are. When im running radar I normally dont even look at a car unless they are doing 15MPH over the limit, I might stop you but more then likely not give you a ticket, some people just need a wake up call to be more aware of there speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86944 View Post
What is the distance police can accurately shoot radar & laser? In the hypothetical situation that I was over the speed limit (which none of us Z owners ever are, of course), and I could see a police car off in the distance, can he easily get me or is he typically getting cars that are closer?
Line of sight, if I can see your car the radar will pick you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelownismo View Post
Possibly a dumb question but....

When you see a speed limit sign, where does that speed limit come into play? Immediately at the sign, or as soon as you can see it?

I've also always wondered about left turn on red, onto a one way street. What's the deal with that?
Speed limit will change as soon as you pass the sign. I dont get your second question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Who do you work for?
Hamilton County Sheriff's Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
Now for something completely different. What's with "Do you have any illegal guns, drugs, ... in your car?" Has anybody ever answered "Yes" to that question?
Yes, dont know why but yes they have, and BC of that I have cut them a brake one time it was for a little bit of weed. I put it in as found property so it could be destroid. Honesty goes along way with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86944 View Post
Why do the police always ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?".
Those are rookies... lol I always introduce my self and explain why I stopped you. I.E. you ran a stop sign.