View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #46 (permalink)
Chuck33079
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370ztt
Chuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond reputeChuck33079 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Can't remember who, but the best advice I saw someone on the forum post in regards to MT practice was find a row in an empty parking lot with the spaces across from each other and pull into a space. Reverse into the space behind you across the row and then pull forward back into the same spot you were in previously. Repeat.
That was me. I picked it up from a good ole boy in the neighborhood when I was talking to him about teaching my gf to drive a standard. Just make sure there are no curbs or parking blocks in the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
I agree that the skill of driving a manual is almost completely unnecessary in this day and age. However, I think that the ability to drive a manual is a good thing. A MT will help focus attention to the road and limit the opportunities to use a cell phone while driving. If your daughter can pick up these good habits at a young age, it is better for her as well as everyone else on the road. I'm not saying you can't learn these in an AT, but I think the MT provides a slight different perspective that would be beneficial.
Exactly. It's about teaching good habits early. Between that, and the ability to drive pretty much anything with wheels, starting her off on a manual is doing her a favor.