View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #2111 (permalink)
LunaZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Project: a white one
LunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber View Post
I'm probably more interested right now in on-camera speedlites. I use an SB-700, and because right now it's more event coverage, I don't have time to set up a shoot area.

However, I am looking for an economical way to expand, and thought about an umbrella or diffuser dish. Just don't know if A) I need more speedlights (I only have my little SB-700 for now), and B) If that's really the next place I want to go with this.

are there pros/cons to a circular diffuser cap vs a box?
For on the camera I really think the best bet is a bracket to get the flash off-center. The positioning results in shots with more pleasant lighting that don't look like you're trying to be Terry Richardson.
As far as diffusion goes, it really depends on your subject matter. A convention such as Comic-Con may call for a beauty dish or even just the bare flash to bring out the detail of the costumes and put a catch-light in the eyes that mimics anime. For something like a wedding, you might want something softer.

A quick and easy way to use multiple speedlites is:
This setup will be fairly lightweight and portable, and the accessories will be less than the additional speedlite itself.

2009 370Z Sport/Touring/Navigation | see my journal for mods
facebook: Be my friend... or not.
LunaZ is offline   Reply With Quote