View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tigger
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Awedeeeeee
Tigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond reputeTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone above on pretty much every point. But I would like to point out something I've been noticing recently and if it is a trend then I wouldn't expect to see anything in 2016 that'll impress in terms of a new Z or even the likes of one.

For example, the 200HP engine has been the benchmark number for how many years now? 14? 15? Even so, it seems manufacturers are only trying to acheive those same numbers with smaller and smaller engines that are more fuel efficient. The new Honda Accord "Sport" model only has, what, 185? Sport? Give me a break.

What I'm saying is they keep re-generating the same numbers and the only battle now is for fuel economy. They don't really care about hp anymore as long as they get close. BMW drops the 8cyl in the M3 for a turbo-6. And what are the figures? only 6 more ponies than last year. Whoopie-do!

The FRS? I drove one again the other day here in Las Cruces because I was bored. Handling was fine. But it was sooooo damn slooowww! It made it almost unbearable. I think my 138hp rental car has more torque.

What it comes down to really is this... performance figures are all but out the window. The battle is fuel economy in ever larger vehicles and soon every damn engine will have a turbo on it and will be direct injected. Not necessarily a bad thing but it will begin to limit the ability to do much to the motor for performance gains since they are getter ever smaller in displacement and most will be 1.6L or smaller and will soon likely come coupled with batteries as a standard feature.

So if they decide to compete with the FRS in 2016, expect low performance figures and specs. I would expect a performance drop with the Z as well if they so choose to bring it back in 2016 as an overhauled vehicle. It'll be underpowered but that's ok as long as it is 100 pounds lighter.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote