View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
AK370Z
Administrator

Drives: 09 370Z MB Sports M6
AK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me diagnose this problem: I can't rev past 3500 RPM intermittently (AK370Z)

Hey guys,

So I have been meaning to post this thread about an year and half now. But the issue is SO intermittent, I have been reluctant to do so because when it doesn't happen, I tell myself "the issue has been fixed" ... but it reality it didn't. However, I should say this before I write about the issue first: when the issue doesn't happen, Z runs absolutely 100%. Smooth, fast and actually I think it still feels like it has 15,000 miles! (in reality at 72,xxx). I Autox monthly and once/twice a year HPDE and I have no issue. When this happens, it just happens to randomly. I have Gold prefferred (Bumper to bumper) warranty till 2016 or 120K miles. So I really want this fixed before that expires

Video of the issue: My 370z wont rev past 3500 RPM Intermittently - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQJkC7t5Hg

Here's what happens:

Intermittently, my car won't let me rev past 3500 RPM. This started VERY first time (late 2011) after I pulled over on the highway. When I got back into the highway, as I was rowing through gears, it won't let me rev past 3500. Just out of the blue, this issue started. This happens (RANDOMLY) if I accelerate from a stop light or sitting in a traffic jam or whenever. I have no idea when this 3500 rev limiter thing will trigger. It can/has happened 2 minutes into driving the Z, it has happened 2 hours into driving etc. Also, it's VERY VERY random. I can have the rev limit occur on my way to grocery store. Then 2 days can go by and It won't happen, 2 months can go by, it won't happen or heck even 6 months will go by and this will not occur once (I think 6 months was the longest gap). Sometimes it happens twice a day then it may not happen for next 6 months. If this happens, all I have to do is -- Stop the car --> shut the engine off --> open door to reset the car --> I can start the engine and it's fine (for how long, I don't know. It can be 1 hour or 6 months). When it happens, I can still drive the car as long as I row throw the gears and keep it below 3500 RPM. It's when I go PAST 3500, it happens.

I really don't know what's the problem. Has this happen to anyone here? I took the Z for service in past, but they were giving me the eyes, thinking I'm crazy. I told the dealer everything but there's NO CODE. They spent hours looking for a code or to replicate the issue -- nope no luck. However they said, if it occurs again, come straight to the dealer. We want to see it. I said,"fine".

Monday 6/18/13 4:20 pm, as I'm going to UPS, this happened again (I think after about 1 month). I went straight to the dealer. Had the tech drive the car and he finally saw what I meant. As I type this, my Z is in the Nissan dealer. All day today they tried replicating the issue first but of course he couldn't get to replicate it as it's VERY random (and even I have no idea what triggers it). Tech called Nissan Tech line and they were confused as well. They (NIssan) first suggested a faulty oil temp sensor which is telling ecu the oil temp is high (but in reality it isn't). I personally think it might be a buggy old ECU as my car is one of the earliest built car. Tech wants to call Nissan tech tomm or try to replicate the issue again so that there's a solution to this (and I told them I really want this fixed as I bought the car before for exact thing). i have done overnight negative battery terminal reset in past and it doesn't fix it. I have tried that.

What do you guys think is the issue? Has this happened to anyone? What should I tell the tech tomm to look specifically? You help, comment, suggestion is highly appreciated.
My Monterey Blue Z ll My Exhaust --> My Intake --> G3
Nissan's Official Response Regarding Oil Temp Issue: CLICK HERE
Need a Set of Cheap Winter wheels /Tires? Then Visit The Banner Link Below and Place Your Order. You'll Help Keep The370Z Alive.
AK370Z is offline   Reply With Quote