View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #72 (permalink)
JoeD
Banned

Drives: Z
JoeD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technik330 View Post

I can appreciate the points that the "chief" is trying to make, but the car isn't going to be hundreds of pounds lighter,200+ lbs, period. If for some reason it is, you wont see it in the 370 price range.

This can be exemplified in several car manufacturers. Subaru has a Spec C STI which utilizes a "lighter" aluminum trunk then the US Spec GDB-D/E/F/G chasis. It reduces the trunk lid weight by an extremely generous, maybe 4-5+ lbs(Check Japanparts.com). The seats may be lighter as well, but overall you might shed 60-80, maybe even 100lbs at most, collectively, with the trunk, seats, etc.

BMW actually went pretty extreme with the CSL, but the weight reduction, I believe, wasn't sevreal hundred lbs. The CSL utilized a carbon roof, a plastic trunk, carbon shell'd seats and door panels...no a/c or power seats, radio, etc. The end result was maybe 100-150lbs, net loss. Keep in mind the car gained weight from the SMG transmission, larger more aggressive brakes, and larger wheels / tires as well. So collectively you're net weight loss isn't insane, but it's definitely there.

Again, I appreciate the points being brought up, and respect them. I, as a newer member on this forum, want facts. I'm aware some of my info may be slightly off, a couple pounds, maybe more, but I can assure you my accuracy is far closer than that of other presented information.

Feel free to check Japanparts.com for info on the STI Spec C Parts, for weights, and check M3forum for info on the CSL. I've been a member of the BMW, Subaru, and Honda communities, again, feel free to search what I posted. I'm not seeking to disrespect anyone, not by any means, I just want the correct info.

Thanks,

-Chris
This post is a fail, not because you are wrong, but because you are addressing the guy's point incorrectly.

In his nonsensical tirade, he mentioned cars over-seas being 300-500 lbs. lighter due to the "lack of safety regulations" and "metallurgy." He really is under the impression that cars in Japan don't have bumper-supports, side-impact beams, or perhaps even frame-rails.

You are correct, though...there are lighter, more race-oriented trims levels sold elsewhere, and the Spec-C and CSL are good examples. They are not, however, related to his profound and eloquent points of view.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote