View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
rednek01
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Mustang GT
rednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond reputerednek01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technik330 View Post

I can appreciate the points that the "chief" is trying to make, but the car isn't going to be hundreds of pounds lighter,200+ lbs, period. If for some reason it is, you wont see it in the 370 price range.

This can be exmaplified in several car manufacturers. Subaru has a Spec C STI which utilizes a "lighter" aluminum trunk then the US Spec GDB-D/E/F/G chasis. It reduces the trunk lid weight by an extremely generous, maybe 4-5+ lbs(Check Japanparts.com). The seats may be lighter as well, but overall you might shed 60-80, maybe even 100lbs at most, collectively, with the trunk, seats, etc.

BMW actually went pretty extreme with the CSL, but the weight reduction, I believe, wasn't sevreal hundred lbs. The CSL utilized a carbon roof, a plastic trunk, carbon shell'd seats and door panels...no a/c or power seats, radio, etc. The end result was maybe 100-150lbs, net loss. Keep in mind the car gained weight from the SMG transmission, larger more aggressive brakes, and larger wheels / tires as well. So collectively you're net weight loss isn't insane, but it's definitely there.

Again, I appreciate the points being brought up, and respect them. I, as a newer member on this forum, want facts. I'm aware some of my info may be slightly off, a couple pounds, maybe more, but I can assure you my accuracy is far closer than that of other presented information.

Feel free to check Japanparts.com for info on the STI Spec C Parts, for weights, and check M3forum for info on the CSL. I've been a member of the BMW, Subaru, and Honda communities, again, feel free to search what I posted. I'm not seeking to disrespect anyone, not by any means, I just want the correct info.

Thanks,

-Chris
While that may be true for BMW, Subaru and Honda it has no bearing on the 370z. Also if you look those are special models and are not models offered in the U.S. where on the other hand the Nismo is a model offered both here and in Japan. I understand what you are saying and agree that some manufactures do take advantage of the lower safety standards in other countries however I have yet to see Nissan doing this in the Nismo 370z or any 370z for that matter and possibly even in the GT-R but dont quote me on that I haven't researched it.