View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #148 (permalink)
gomer_110
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '11 Nismo #528 GM
gomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond reputegomer_110 has a reputation beyond repute

So I had the chance to meet Visconti today and talk to him about the ECUtek software along with him showing me the software and what it means for our platform.

First the man. Visconti is actually a nice person regardless of the devil some of us have made him out to be and seems to know his sh!t quite well. He just seems to come across as what people think of when they think of a stereotypical engineer, slightly egotistical and a little on the condescending side. No offense Visconti.

Now the important part, the software. All I can say is wow. First the part that is just "nice" is that many of the tables that we already have in Uprev but use meaningless numbers actually have meaningful values (ie. instead of 32560 it would actually display the "requested torque" value in Newton-Meters).

Next ECUtek stops the ECU from switching between the 7 different timing strategies that it has and instead forces it to use a single timing table therfore providing predictable control of timing while still retaining knock protection.

The promising part is the valve timing and lift tables. From what I got out of Visconti, there is still development left to be done with the VVEL system. Sounded like ECUtek is saving this for last in the event that they accidently crash the valves into the pistons and have to rebuild the motor.

Now what makes ECUtek far superior to UpRev (atleast IMO):
There are user definable tables that are available for extra things. It also allows for new sensors to be swapped in place of other "unnecessary" (emissions, etc.) sensors. The same can be done with output type devices. This would obviously benefit the FI guys more than us NA guys but it's still impressive.

A few examples would be adding an ethanol/gas ratio sensor and then adjusting boost pressure based on ethanol content. Also no lift to shift could easily be accomplished by just creating custom tables and then triggering a table to alter the necessary engine settings. Another possibility is an ECU based boost controller. The possibilities are endless in my opinion.

The real key to all this custom functionality is the tuner as I would liken this more to computer programming than just changing table entries.

fwiw I didn't get tuned as ECUtek doesn't support my ECU yet so don't bother asking if I got any gains from just going to ECUtek.

If I got anything wrong Visconti just let me know and I can edit the post.
'11 370Z Nismo #528 Fast Intentions | Stillen | Motordyne | Uprev | CSF | Zspeed | Z1 Motorsports | AST | Swift | SPC | SPL | Whiteline | Hotchkis | Bride | Schroth | Robispec | Cusco | Nismo | Volk | Forgestar | Hoosier | RJM
'17 Titan Bone Stock

Last edited by gomer_110; 05-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
gomer_110 is offline   Reply With Quote