View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
chrischhorn
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Juke Nismo RS
chrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranty View Post
Can anyone tell me why it is that 4.08 gears will not fit in a rear end from a car with an automatic transmission?

Is this some holdover from the early 350Z/G35 days or is there a more concrete reason?

What is the difference in the housings?
Its not the housing. Its the Gear ring that bolts to the diff. The auto's have bigger differentials then the manual transmissions if I'm not mistaken and seeing how the 4.08 gears are taking out of a manual transmission frontier, it just won't work. Comparing the difference between the auto and manual quaife LSD, it looks like the bearing/crown wheel is where it differs between the auto and manual trans. If you swap completely to a manual transmission rear end (the whole pumpkin) and put the 4.08 gears in that or swap the gears and the differential at the same time it should work. You will need to swap to a 6MT differential though to make it work for sure.

So you can see, installed in a auto but with a manual trans VLSD

4.08 Gear Install (7AT) Review

R.I.P. 8/01/13 1SlowZ
One day I'll have another....

Last edited by chrischhorn; 04-17-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added link
chrischhorn is offline   Reply With Quote