View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lug
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 350Z
Lug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
The whole "Buy a Base and mod it" argument to justify the difference in price makes little sense. Sure, a Base will out-perform a NISMO with the price delta spent on modifications, but then again...so will a Honda Civic. Or a 335i vs. an M3. Or a base Corvette vs. a Z06. It's a moot point.

Focus on comparing the cars stock, which in that case all the evidence presented supports the argument that a Base/Sport Z out-performs the NISMO as they are. Not taking into consideration price, I think many people would have still chosen a Base/Sport over the NISMO.
But then again, the 7AT outperforms the 6MT in bench test racing. I have to assume they will eventually figure out what the problem is with the NISMO. On paper, the 18 hp bump more than makes up for the slight weight gain. The poor acceleration results have been attributed by some to the fact that every NISMO we've seen tested was far under recommended break in miles. What they can't explain is the handling, that's NOT effected by any break in period. Stiffening the chassis doesn't normally cause lateral grip to drop from .97-.99 to .91-.95. In fact, I've never seen this result, ever. I still suspect there is something wonky with the tires used on the NISMO.