View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #8937 (permalink)
dmhenderson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: AWD TT 370z
dmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Dee and anyone else that is trying to use Dynamat/GTMat/Fatmat/etc...

This stuff is designed to dampen panel resonance. It's NOT an effective non-structure-borne sound absorption or dampening material. What it is good at is adding mass to a panel to change the resonant frequency and cut back on panel noise (structure-borne.) To do this effectively, you only need to cover 25% of a panel. You don't need to cover the entire panel as that's a complete waste.

If you want to block sound, you need closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl. You place a layer of CCF on top of the panel to act as a decoupler for the layer of MLV you add on top. THAT is what blocks sound effectively.

This is a great resource for effective and efficient sound deadening: Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information
Interesting read - so when I install my GTmat, I should only cover 1/4 of the trunk panel area?