View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Know this in the future.... any "inspection" or "check" means it's usually just a visual inspection of the parts. What the dealer adds in the "package" is mostly marketing BS to make it look like a lot of stuff is being done.

From the list, the actual service is:
-Replace the air filters_$35
-Oil & Filter_$24.63 (I think they just used regular oil btw)
-Wiper Blades_$33.44
-Brake Flush & Fluid_$45+Flush? (A new bottle of high quality brake fluid is about $20)
-Fuel System additive (44k)?_$22.49
-Engine Additive (MOA)?_$13.80
-Battery Pads_$6.50 (These are just used to clean the battery connection contacts, not really needed to be honest unless you see a ton of corrossion of the terminals)
-----------------
If we add those up, it's about $180 for parts, so you paid about $175 for labor.

The parts list says $145.86 total, which makes me think they didn't replace your air filters. With this total, you're paying $210 for labor. An oil flush runs about $80-$150 depending on where you have it done, so that's pretty much the bulk of the labor....which means you paid an extra $60-$130 to have them "inspect" stuff they should normally do for free anyways whenever you get your oil change. Some of that stuff is also inspected when you, well.....get the state inspection done. If you know nothing about cars, the extra $60-$130 may be worth it to you. For the guys that do all this in their driveway though, it's $210 worth of overpriced, mediocre work by low skilled mechanics. The guys doing the maintence crap are usually at the bottom of the totem pole. Next time, see exactly what you need done and don't get suckered into these packages. Better yet, get your hands dirty and do some of this stuff on your own (a 3 year old can figure out if the lights work or not). Some delearship service rep's actually know very little about cars and are just their to make a sale.

They ask me if I want my tires rotated every time I go.

Read the maintenance schedule that came with your manual. It will say what's required, recommended and at what intervals. The manual also has basic maintenance instructions you can do yourself even if you have no mechanical skills.

Last edited by Cmike2780; 01-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote