View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #5115 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
that's why I am going with PSS
I think my Invos perform better in wet weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
mr. jar- im not sure how to reply to your post. the RE050A's aren't really meant to last very long. they grip fairly well for an oe tire. the pole position variant did grip much better than the standard RE050A. i usually got 8k miles on the rear pair, maybe 16-17K on the front. im not a fan of nitto tires. (actually not a fan of toyo, nitto, and falken tires, and do not ride on korean brands either not that i hate them, i dont care for them).

i found the DW's wear well. im not so sure if i want my hobby car to have long wearing tires because i dont put much milage on them to begin with. i'd almost prefer it wears around 10k miles so that i can replace them withtout feeling im throwing away tires that are 'still good.' like any rubber, after a while the tire gets dry and they dont grip as well as they did new. so i cycle them once every 3-4 years even if there is decent tread on them.

my tire of choice are:

Yokohama Advan Sports (not bad! on my Z right now)
Bridgestone S04 (very good, on my G right now).
Bridgestone RE11 (will be on my nismo's next).

Michelin PSS (have not tried, but mr.onzedge says very good! does not come in 285/35/19 though )
You'll never hear a dealer say that - they tried to tell me numerous times that I should get 20K+ on them I know better than to believe that of course, but I was certainly surprised when I was in for my 2nd oil change at 8K miles and they were telling me they couldn't legally let me drive off the lot with my tires in their current condition (2/32nds). They proceeded to quote $400 per rear tire and I laughed and drove away for the last time. I got the Invos same day in stock at Discount Tire and haven't looked back since.

My wife DD the Z from Mar 2011 to July 2012 and I have to believe that any tire she can't get more than 10K highway miles on is useless. Maybe it's a good track tire, but in that case it shouldn't be on our DD and imho shouldn't be an oem tire on a car without an oil cooler I wish I had driven the car more in 2011 so I could better comment on the RE050's performance qualities.

I can't say anything for Nitto as a company except that my experience with the Invos has been stellar. I'm very pleased at the performance for the cost. Cost is the primary reason I did not go with PSS or RE11, and because I wanted those in 305s, which of course isn't a fair comparison. But even similar sized DWs couldn't quite compete costwise - though I am very interested to try them. I would rank the RE050 way below the any tire named in your post even before you factor in their cost value, which then makes it even worse imo.

I'm sorry to hear you say your not a fan only because my experience has been so positive. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there are certainly plenty of tire choices out there to avoid those you don't like. Frankly, Yokohama tires have a bad connotation in my mind. I've never driven any enough to form an informed opinion, but I just don't think I'll ever buy any. As I don't have knowledgeable experience, I'll never speak negatively about them, but I will say that I don't like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
RE11's are really good to! what is the width of your wheels?
I almost bought a full set of RE11s from a guy on the forum. Alas... I didn't have a vehicle to haul them while my wife was out of town

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
this guy needs to be put in jail for fraud imho.
that harsh, huh? I'm still a fan ... I guess I'm biased cause he's a local boy

I have to say I enjoyed watching Lance win all those stages. I don't really care that he doped. Steroids made both cycling and baseball entertaining enough for me to tune in for a few years - I don't watch either anymore. I don't care that they took his wins away - he fvcking cheated. Let him continue to run his own charity that does a lot of good for a lot of people. I believe Lance accomplished more in his lifetime by using steroids than he possibly could have without them. And I'm not talking about cycling records and awards.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |