View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #225 (permalink)
98intrigue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Viper
98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 98intrigue

Update:

I went to visit the machine shop for the first time yesterday. They showed me my shot bearings. All of the main bearings have burnt the clevite coating off due to excessive friction/heat and most of the rod bearings had deep gouges in them (my previous damaged engine almost had nothing left of 2 of the 10 rod bearings, so we assume this is where the gouging came from). This is a clear sign that the bearing material from the previously damaged motor was not thoroughly cleaned out. The machine shop showed me their process of how they clean the block out, so all signs point to bearing material being left in the oil pump. We also went to pick up my crank (done at an outside shop) and the crank is CRACKED

My installer said he never replaced the oil pump, but blew out the lines. The one thing I didn't know is the Viper is not like our Zs... on the Z, you can just swap out the oil pump. On the Viper, you have to replace the entire front timing cover. Now I see why the installer cheaped out on that part, but it's still a completely unacceptable excuse not to replace it.

The machine shop is going to give me documention sometime this week that the motor failed due to oil starvation and metal material cycling through the engine. He's also going to prepare a written estimate of the cost to rebuild. My last rebuild was just shy of $8k. Depending on if we can source a good used crank or have to order new, I suspect this rebuild to cost another $5k on top of the last estimate.

The installer will be held liable for all charges. I have a feeling he is going to deny any guilt unfortunately, so I have a lawyer on standby. I've had the car for 9 months now and it's only been drivable for 13 weeks. I just want the damn thing back...I don't even know what it's like to drive the car really.