View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #1949 (permalink)
CDepp
Track Member

Drives: sideways
CDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to beholdCDepp is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZ View Post
Looks great, and I do have to thank you. I too have been tossing around Cf on my black roadster but I haven't seen any good picture of CF on black. I though it would just blend in and you wouldn't notice it much but yours looks great...
Yeah, I spent hours searching for pics of a Mag.Black Z with it and finally just went and got some. If I didn't like it, I could have pulled it off. I think it came out well until next year's mod-budget for some holographic red authentic carbon pieces. Still waiting to see any holographic red carbon fiber on any car.

Make certain you also have a heat gun, or a hair dryer. I may hake a DIY video for installing/wrapping vinyl, but there's a lot available for other cars. The fangs, b-pillars, and rear around the fog are the next and last part I will probably do.

Easiest method for mirrors, cut out 2 - 14"x10" sections.
Peel back only half the wax/paper backing and line line up to the center of the mirror and tack the center.
Use the heat and start pulling to the outside and laying as you go. (don't worry, the 3M 1080 is VERY malleable once warmed up)
Do 1-2" to the side, then 1-2" top and bottom, then back to the side. Don't allow the vinyl to cool too much. Pull the rest of the backing off and repeat for the opposite side.
Use 3M primer if you plan to keep them on long term (I'd think over 1-2 years).

The reason I suggest keeping the vinyl backing on - helps from that section of vinyl becoming warm. Once this stuff gets too warm, it starts to become hard once cooled. It might help to have a friend use the hairdryer/heatgun.

Good luck!

Last edited by CDepp; 01-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.