View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Parkerman
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2009 MB 370z
Parkerman is on a distinguished road

Alright, here is what I did. I'll explain my situation over.

My steering wheel lock failed, but it was still unlocked... so the wheel wasn't stuck. What happened was there are 2 switches inside of the box, that when pressed, let the computer know that the steering wheel is unlocked and the car can start. Well, apparently in my situation the bolt didn't make it down all the way to trigger these.

I first removed the board from the box and tried to star the car that way with the switches pressed... It worked, went to ACC... I removed the fuse and tried again without pressing down on the switches and it didn't work. So you have to have pressure on those switches. All the fuse does is keeps it from ever engaging again.

So, I go investigate the box, and I see that the locking bold wasn't down all the way... I turned the gear so that it was in the full unlocked position. Put the board back in, screwed it back and tested it... Success.

I put everything back together, connected it back to the car... just reused the security screws that you remove to take it off[tightening them back with the angled needle nose pliers.] And all is good, saved $500+. It will never engage again. There is a chance I could have tried to fix it, but I never wanted to deal with this again.

The hardest part was opening it up. Just be careful not to ruin the board on the inside. [ aka, don't just go jabbing a screwdriver into it... you still need that board to be intact.]

Here are the pictures.

-The box.

-I removed the screw and what was like a spring loaded lock, not %100 sure what it did.

-To get it open, it wasn't pretty... I just used a flat head screwdriver and worked it open.

-Bottom removed, there are 2 screws here. Need a T10 torx screwdriver or bit to remove them. Same goes for the screw that was on top.

-These are the "switches"

-Board removed, showing the switches.

-Board removed from box, Arrow is showing the position that the locking bolt needs to be in to be all the way down.

-Again without the box.

Then the box empty, with the exception of the black plastic bits, which part of it is like a spring loaded lock.

Hope this helps someone save some money.