View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #60 (permalink)
FricFrac
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 300ZX 280ZX 240
FricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to FricFrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetlife View Post
Keep us posted man. I live in Houston too, your update will help me in my decision making process. I love to detail ( i am a detailer part time) and use nothing but the best professional products on details, the last thing i want to see in the paint is orange peel or any defects that should've been prevented and corrected before the car left the factory. I don't understand how no one at the Nissan's paint factory hasn't observed these paint conditions at the paint factory, the signs are there without a doubt. I've heard of cars having thin clear coats, but based on the stories i'm hearing about Nissan's paint jobs this has been on going for a while. This has gone on for far too long. I am in love with the 370z, i've followed it since the spy pics first came out, it's still the only car on my list. I'm waiting to see when the overhaul of the paint factory at Nissan will occur, or at least a permanent solution that will bring them up to par with the other car companies that are readily available.
A few things to note before hysteria takes over....

- We measured the thickness of the paint on the 370Z. It is well within the reasonable range (5 mil ish IIRC).

- The clear coat on the Z is soft but there are other production vehicles that are softer from the factory. I'm not convinced that soft is bad - it probably is more resiliant to chiping if it has some "give". It does mar easily but it also polishes easily. Its not horrible and its not awesome - its average.

- Uh there is orange peel in pretty much ANY paint from a factory assembled car I've ever seen including my friends $100K + AMG Mercedes. You aren't getting away from orange peel unless its hand painted and sanded between layers.