Thread: intake hack
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
kenny's 370z
Base Member

Drives: 2012 frontier sv v6
kenny's 370z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
I did this exact same thing. The misreads will cause you to read either lean or rich or vacillate between the two -- trust me on this one. I couldn't tell using my butt dyno either, but a dynojet set the record straight.

Dyno it vs. stock airbox and see if your project worked. It's not the design or the idea that's poor, it's just a limitation of the sensitivity of the MAF sensors.

We have the same sensors and the same car -- to assume yours work differently doesn't make sense.

Now, that said, if you build bracketry to clamp down the intakes well enough to prevent any movement it might work, but without a dyno, there's no way to tell.
trust me,the intakes are not moving,they are braced very well.i looked at your hack and imo,your air filter was too small and putting the filter inside the box restricted air flow.i know this from a prior hack on another car.i am using a 2" long 3" diameter aluminum pipe to connect the filters and the silicone reducers to the cut off maf tubes.

i understand what you are saying but the car feels stronger now than it did with the drop ins and maf tubes even though im still using the maf tubes.it is a very smooth air transition inside the pipes.the aluminum pipe is very thin and i sanded the maf tubes down to an angle to eliminate turbulance.car felt so strong tonight in 65 ambient,i really dont see the need to go further with the mods even though i will.

i will say this.for those people that are running the typhoons,i would be angling the filter down as far away as i could from the top of the hood by loosening the connection by the tb's and angling the metal tubes inwards to drop the filter further away from the hood where heat gathers at idle if thats even possible.when i dropped my filters as far as i could,my gas mileage is staying around 21.6 with very spirited driving.anyway,im just in testing phases to see what positioning of the air filter works best under the hood.and so far,the gen 2 makes more sense according to my butt dyno and the cars computer.

edit: im keeping my setup.

Last edited by kenny's 370z; 09-09-2012 at 11:04 PM.
kenny's 370z is offline   Reply With Quote