View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #122 (permalink)
VDC_OFF
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2011 370Z M6
VDC_OFF is a splendid one to beholdVDC_OFF is a splendid one to beholdVDC_OFF is a splendid one to beholdVDC_OFF is a splendid one to beholdVDC_OFF is a splendid one to beholdVDC_OFF is a splendid one to beholdVDC_OFF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
lol, billet370. You need to chill.

Just my $0.02

There's a big difference between plagiarism and using the source as the foundation of a design. By definition, yes I suppose you could consider those parts 370Ztune is offering as "replicas" but it's implied that certain parts only fit if directly copied from the original. They're not trying to pass off the part as an authentic OEM Nissan part. It's kind of implied for example, that a cf mirror cover has to conform to the OEM mirror to fit correctly. It's physically impossible not to have it mimick the original piece. There also a difference between a non-OEM "replacement" part and replicating someone elses "aftermarket" part. No one is bashing you for your carbon-fiber wraps for example. It's a fine line and up to the original author to decide what they want allowed. It's very clear that Powerhouse Amuse would not want this allowed. Changing the kit to CF is moot if you don't have the original authors permission or in this case is greatly opposed to such alterations in the design.

You may be tired of the "replica bandwagon," but as someone who designs (buildings) for a living, plagiarism is basically theft of intellectual property and something I take offense to. It's illegal and very much unethical. The replica Amuse are counterfeit products, no matter how you spin or justify it. If I decide to change a few words to a book I liked reading for example, put my name on it and started selling it for a profit. The original author would rightfully be upset.

Arguing this stuff is childish. Everyone, including yourself, knows selling something counterfeit is wrong. People can justify and reason all they want... be it price, color, texture...whatever...it doesn't make it right. No one is attacking you for the great job you did on YOUR car. There's just no need to be defensive because someone called you out on your "replica" kit.
I see your point too which makes sense for these two items:

but what about these items?

I'm simply trying to approach this as finding the distinction from a fine line. I am a graphic designer and have had people take my design and alter it just with different fonts or colors. It did make me mad but it happens and if they changed it enough, it becomes their own design. One thing I have learned as a designer, is that the best designs have been influenced by something they have seen someone else do. You just have to take it as a form of flattery I guess. Researching copyright laws, this website categorizes this as a moral rights.
Legally Using Images | copyrightlaws.com

Very confusing topic!

Last edited by VDC_OFF; 09-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
VDC_OFF is offline   Reply With Quote