View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #7759 (permalink)
blackcherry20
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: ‘17 badazz Z51
blackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond reputeblackcherry20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Hey guys

Quick recap of my weekend. Went outside Sat and replaced the gasket I thought was blown. Sure sounded like the one after the test pipe, guess I should have investigated more. Fixed it, turned the car on and...................yuck, still broken! Turned out it WAS the same gasket that keeps blowning on me. So I head over to my friends house out in PA to fix it seeing as how the job is much easier w 2 people. We rip it out, fashion a new gasket out of "make your own gasket material" and start to slap it back together. As Im threading in the one bolt that THREADS into the manifold I feel that its not going in too smooth. I stopped and my buddy and I lay under the car debating on what to do. We try threading a dif bolt or 2 into the hole w the same results. Finally I decide to put the ratchet on it and tighten it a bit to see if the problem works itself out. The bolt was threading in but it was pretty tight. After threading it in about a 1/2 inch the bolt got very tight and I stopped ratcheting as soon as I felt it tighten up. Im like, ok just thread it back out. Well, it wouldnt thread back out. I cranked on it and had it backing out VERY slowly and then...............SNAP! Ugh, been fearing snapping a bolt off doing this forever. I seriously thought i was screwed and not getting it back together yesterday. Put vise grips on it and couldnt budge it. Oh the anger and frustration that was running thru my body!!! Luckily my friends neighbor is a mechanical beast and he came out and got that broken bolt off with some voodoo magic, or something. He threaded a nut on the end of the snapped bolt, then another on top of that, then was able to unthread it. Worked like a charm and saved my head from exploding!!! She is all back together now We will see how long this gasket lasts. I have blown 3 since May now. WTF!

Off to work Have a soccer game tonight then Im off tomorrow, def making Monday easier to cope with
good mechs are worth weight in gold sometimes huh?! Have a great Monday Mr. Alchemy!