Thread: Kaaz Diff.?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z1Performance
Base Member

Drives: 350Z
Z1Performance is on a distinguished road

A bit harsh is a gross understatement - it's very street unfriendly. Good budget oriented unit for the drifters, not ideal for anything else though

The nicest clutch type diff I've used to date in the Z's (I've used all of them except Drexler's) is the OS Giken. Very, very smooth operation, near silent operation, no funky break ins like the lesser models have, and doesn't need any exotic fluids or short change intervals. The machine work is amazing on their cases and the components. A touch more money than some other clutch type units, but ultimately worth the price of admission. If I had a true double duty (track/street) car, this would be what I choose. There are some extra parts that are needed for the install, but it's a straightforward afair and things just bolt in.

The Carbonetics units are very nice. The metal ones have a typical, clunky sort of feel to them. The carbon ones are far nicer. Downside is they aren't adjustable or customizable, the fluid they need is something you have to get from them (not expensive, but still, if you need it in a pinch), and it has short change intervals due to the carbon dust contaminating the oil. Mike can share his insight into the install in a 370Z, I haven't done one

Cusco's diffs are a nice unit too - a tick less money than OS Giken, but has to be ordered so there is a wait time. They use conventional fluids, are customizable for lockup and action (1.5 or 2 way), and no funky break in needed at all. I've run one in my 350z since 2005 and it's been great.

If your car is mainly street driven, maybe the occassional track day a couple times a year, the Quaife is my suggestion. It has 0 intrusion - meaning, 0 noise, 0 anything. Nissan could have (and should have) included this from the factory and you would never know it. That is how absolutely seamless it is. That is, until you launch the car, or turn. That is where it reveals itself. It is so much more effective at putting the power down vs the stock VLSD, it really bears no comparison. VLSD is a paperweight by comparison, and one that over time, gets progressively worse and worse (and it doesnt start out with all that much lockup in the first place).
Z1Performance is offline   Reply With Quote