View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #97 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FricFrac View Post
I don't mean to be a doubting Thomas but do we have any links that backs this up? So far I've heard its based on a synthetic blend and others say its a dino oil with Esters added. No links to the manufactures specs or any lab tests done on the oil so either way its hearsay until someone gives us some evidence either way.
The issue of what is or isn't "synthetic oil" is complicated if you dig too deep The manufacturers seem to be happy with the very lax definitions of the term, because it gives them a lot of room to do marketing. Given the different things "synthetic" can mean, and the fact that Nissan Ester is almost certainly a mix of both synthetic and non-synthetic ingredients, there's no 100% clear, hard answer to your question.

Quote:
I've read about people who have had ticking on the G37 that was resolved with the TSB regarding the ticking sound that uses both a flash and the Ester oil as the fix. Do we have any links to people who have fixed their ticking with Redline, etc?
The original problem in the G37 was initially fixed by switching to ester, and then later a TSB came out that involved reflashing the ECU (presumably to change something about the VVEL's parameters), which supposedly cleared up the ticking regardless of the oil type used. We have newer ECUs that undoubtedly incorporate that software fix, and our service manuals recommend but do not require Nissan Ester oil (and most Nissan dealerships seem to have never heard of it unless the customer makes them research it).