View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #1252 (permalink)
didymus
Track Member

Drives: 280 / 370Z
didymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the compliments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaZ View Post
Thanks!
So in the shot above, would I have wanted to diffuse the light, or reflect more light onto the butterfly?
I do have a refelctor/diffuser already, but it's much too big for chasing insects around the garden LOL!
Thats a pretty good shot. Butterflies are one of the hardest insects to shoot.
Looks like you didn't use a flash, right? Flash is the key to doing macro. You want to get the flash either on a bracket or handheld off the camera so you can control where the light comes from. And like mentioned you want a diffuse source. Some people use macro ring flashes but they tend to be very harsh/stark. I had good luck with an inflatable softbox like this
Amazon.com: Opteka Inflatable Universal Studio Soft Box Flash Diffuser for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Sigma, & Other External Flash Units: Camera & Photo
The point of using a flash (aside from exposure) is also to help separate from the background, which is a bit distracting in your image. Also why using a longer zoom is helpful, to get a nice blurred bokeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by onzedge View Post
Cool shot -- even w/o a macro. I just ordered the 100mm 2.8L macro yesterday.
You'll love it, it's razor sharp. Should be an 'L' lens

And since we're talking macro, heres an old shot, note how the shallow DOF and long lens help isolate the subject
didymus is offline   Reply With Quote