View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bboyeruga
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z 40th Ann
Bboyeruga is on a distinguished road
Default Dr. Colorchip Experience - KAV Color on Wheels, Front Bumper, and Hood

Hello all,

I've seen a lot of questions about the KAV Dr. Colorchip set and decided I would do a quick write up after I got done using it.

First, I must say that it is an incredibly easy process to apply this paint. The solution they give you to use after the paint has dried is fantastic. Now, to my experience...

I just bought my 40th used from a guy who kept it in great shape with low miles, but it did have several microchips in the front bumper and hood and a couple of rashes on the wheels. I decided to buy the smallest Dr. Colorchip package and try it out.

I first tried it on a small chip on the bumper and saw that the color matched flawlessly so I began doing more and more. I did about 5-6 microchips at a time and overall I did about 30. None were bigger than 3mm so, for larger chips, I have no comment. By the time I was done, I stood at about 3 feet from the car and could not see a single chip.

NOTES: They give you a SINGLE glove to smear the paint once it was on the car, but I found myself to having too much trouble with that. Instead, I used the included brush to do several dry brushstrokes in a cross brush pattern (north to south then west to east). As long as there are no protruding bubbles, the solution you apply afterwards takes the excess paint right off.

Now, I mentioned there were some rashes on the wheels. I'm planning on buying some new ones, but haven't had the time to shop. Instead, I decided to touch them up to make them less noticeable. I've got some pictures below:

The process for these is quite different. Because most rashes are deeper than a microchip, I applied several coats very carefully. Any time I overpainted, I made sure to do the dry cross brush I mentioned above to remove any bubbles on the smooth parts of the wheels.

Upper right Before:

Upper right During:

Upper right After:

Bottom left Before:

Bottom left During:

Bottom left After:

Sorry about the picture quality. All I have is an iPhone 4S. This is also one of the reasons why I didn't bother taking pictures of the microchips on the hood/bumper.

If you have any questions for me, please let me know.