View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
JoeD
Banned

Drives: Z
JoeD is on a distinguished road

A perfect example of what to do with for a high-performance, track-oriented model should be taken from GM with the base C5 versus the C5 Z06. I'll use the last 2004 model-year, for instance...the Z06 had an MSRP starting at $8,350 more than the base Coupe, slightly less than the $9,200 $Δ between the base 370Z and the NISMO. I know people are gonna say I should compare it to the 370 Sport but that makes no sense, plus I'm comparing the Z06 to the base C5, not the Z51 (an option-package similar to what Sport offers for the 370Z).

For the extra $8,350 for the Z06, you got:
  • 55 more HP (LS6 engine, but fundamentally the same as the LS1)
  • Upgraded suspension (springs, shocks, sway-bars)
  • Revised gearing
  • Larger wheels/tires
  • Significant weight-savings (titanium exhaust, thinner glass, less sound-deadening)
  • Upgraded brakes
  • Functional brake cooling-ducts
  • Slightly different but not all that much better seats (like the NISMO)
  • A prettier looking tachometer (again, like the NISMO)

What you ended up with was a car that was significantly faster and handled much better than the base-model, making it one of the fastest cars you could buy on a track. There was absolutely no question about the performance benefits of the Z06 vs. the base as it was night-and-day...not so much with the NISMO.

The funny thing is, you have comparisons of different models such as this on every given forum, and the higher-end camp laughs it off saying the people defending the base-model are just bitter and/or couldn't afford the step up and/or are contriving excuses to justify their purchase when they secretly want the better version. I don't feel this is the case here with the 370Z Sport vs. NISMO. For the same price as the NISMO, it's foolish not to go with a fully-loaded Sport/Touring/Nav Z.

As stated...Nissan really dropped the ball on this one. All you're paying for is a body-kit, and a tacky looking one at that.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote