Thread: Rough Day
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Z34Driver
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z PW M6
Z34Driver is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the support everyone. I was able to walk away from this accident with no serious injuries. It also seemed that I was the most injured, as I only saw minor cuts and scrapes on the Jetta driver. Looking at the paperwork, my official injuries are chest wall and abdominal wall contusions. I had several cuts/scrapes/bruises on my legs, so I didn't check under all of the bandages while at the hospital because they all felt minor. When I got home and went to get in the shower and took one of the bandages off, I found this...so I had to go back to the hospital for stitches...

Other car involved, we are both facing the opposite way we were driving...

It could have been a lot worse, and I'm definitely glad I could walk away, and that no one else was injured.

And 100% no doubt, the engineering effort put into making the Z safer, saved my life.

Obviously I don't think I'm a hero or anything, because swerving around the old man coming towards me was purely reaction. However, the split second decision I made to attempt to go around him in the median/yellow lane probably saved both of our lives as well.

I saw open median to my left, where the guy was turning from, and to the right was an Auto Shop, with a parking lot full of people and parked cars. On the other side of the median was two lanes of oncoming traffic. I would have made it around the guy, if he didn't overcorrect and put himself back into the middle lane, where he was just coming out of...Anyway, I beleive things would have been much worse had I collided with the first guy, when I was going the speed limit of 55. I did have a short time to get on the brakes before colliding, so this is where I get my estimate of 50mph at impact from.
Z34Driver is offline   Reply With Quote