View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #1757 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintsize725 View Post
Hi Kenchan!! I think the males invented this one recently.
hahahaha, i see. i must listen to more top40's radio so i am with the times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
This is form the Zoom website,

"The H1's built-in directional microphones focus on the sound being recorded. Unlike omnidirectional microphones, which pick up sound all around indiscriminately, the H1 mics ignore the unwanted noise behind them."

So it sounds like it will record whatever is in front of the mic better than the rear. The nice thing about that cup holder mount is it will be easy to play around with positioning like you suggest.

After your experimenting, it really showed that the stand alone mic is the best option to achieve the best sond quality. I can also use it in a similar fashion with my 7D. If I can't get the desired sounds in the Z, I can always add an external mic for outside of the car.
cool! it's good that it has directionality. yah, if the gopro has a quieter noise floor and if we were recording in a quiet environment the setup would be different, but for in-vehicle application (or any application where you can have the recorder away from the camera) this is so far the best i think.

the biggest differentiator is that you can also record the audio in your audio recorder and sync it later if needed. you can't do that with just an external mic on the gopro. it's you get wat you get (with no input level metering so who knows if you're clipping or not. it's like aiming the camera with no LCD! lol it's just too much guess work).

the next gen hero needs to have LCD, input level meter, and quieter noisefloor for sure.