View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #1751 (permalink)
GaleForce
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Varis Arising II
GaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
hahaha, yah, both. i had a long day at work yesterday. but i was able to do some car stuff in the garage last night so that was

the satechi is probably one of the best ones out there...but that swivel that can't click to its horizontal detent is

btw, im not sure about the zoom you bought, but my tascam's mic polar pattern (mic's pickup pattern) is directly forward to 90degress perpendicular. so that means it will prioritize sound that is picked up forward of the front seats. since the cabin is small it picks up a lot of the nice exhaust note too while reducing road noise.

if i want more bass frequency of the exhaust i could position the recorder pointing more towards the ceiling, but will also add the rumbling road noise down 25-55hz area. i suggest not using any hi-pass filters or limiter on the recorder and just play with the positions first.

This is form the Zoom website,

"The H1's built-in directional microphones focus on the sound being recorded. Unlike omnidirectional microphones, which pick up sound all around indiscriminately, the H1 mics ignore the unwanted noise behind them."

So it sounds like it will record whatever is in front of the mic better than the rear. The nice thing about that cup holder mount is it will be easy to play around with positioning like you suggest.

After your experimenting, it really showed that the stand alone mic is the best option to achieve the best sond quality. I can also use it in a similar fashion with my 7D. If I can't get the desired sounds in the Z, I can always add an external mic for outside of the car.