View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
falconfixer
Track Member

Drives: Taco
falconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond reputefalconfixer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I've never really lived in a cold climate, so I'm not familiar with these block heaters. The Infiniti parts sites also don't show any pics. How big are these things, where do they install? Are they easy to completely remove from the vehicle when not in use? They require wall-outlet AC power to operate right? What kind of temps do they run at?

Just curious about how viable an option it would be, in a warmer climate, to use this to pre-heat the engine and reduce oil warmup time with a big oil cooler setup
IMHO it's overkill to install a block heater even with an oil cooler for warm climates. I had one on my Jeep installed when I built it and it was a $50 add-on. I believe this was something built into the block and I know a lot of the after market ones are magnetic and just stick to the oil pan.

As far as power, yep you plug them into an outside outlet. I had mine on a timer to come one a few hours before I had to leave for work. And for gee-whiz I never plugged in until less than 0 degrees out or colder. Oh did I mention this is when I lived in Alaska and saw temps in the -50s? That is when a block heater is needed.
falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote