View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #430 (permalink)
LunaZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Project: a white one
LunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigby64 View Post
I know that I'm way late on this; I'm trying to catch up on all of these threads, but rule of thumb:

1. Speed limit 25 or less, go 5 mph under. These are usually residential rodes with kids.
2. Speed limit 30, go no more than 5 miles over.
3. Speed limit 40 or 50, go no more than 10 mph over.
4. Speed limit 55, go no more than 13 over.
5. Speed limit 65, skies the limit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
Mostly agree with this, except for point 5. It varies, but it's never a good idea, really, to go more than 10 over the limit. I wouldn't stomp the pedal just because 65 is the limit. Heck, there are 70mph limits out there. I've seen plenty of people pulled over on those stretches.

And I've been quite a few places where the speed limit is 10 or 15. Much like 25-30, you do not want to exceed this. Usually those limits are at places like airports or schools (with high pedestrian traffic) or publicly accessible military bases. You never want to speed in these situations.
Speed limits and how they are assigned to various roads mystify me sometimes.
A verrry wide (could be a four lane road) street that is smooth and has great visibility is posted at 25mph. The next street over which is narrow, bumpy AND runs alongside the middle school, is posted at 35mph.
My neighbourhood, which is residential with lots of children present, has narrow streets that are barely two cars wide and necks down to the width of one car when people park in front of their houses, is posted at 25mph. I'd like to see it reduced to 15 or even 10mph.

I think some of the 65mph zones in PA carry a double fine and double points for speeding. I think NJ has the same.
I did a fair bit of driving in Ohio yesterday. I was going 10 over in the 70mph zones and was passing people like they were standing still. I have a feeling they are pretty strict there, too, now that I think about it.

Drove home from Pittsburgh this morning. Three and a half hours in a torrential downpour on the PA Turnpike. The RE-11's did great, but it's easy to see that the roadway wasn't designed to drain the amount of water that was falling from the sky this morning. I hit quite a few patches that resembled ponds and streams. That got a little dicey!

2009 370Z Sport/Touring/Navigation | see my journal for mods
facebook: Be my friend... or not.