View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #231 (permalink)
SailFree
Base Member

Drives: 12 370Z GM 7ATS NavS
SailFree is on a distinguished road

I went to my high school alumni association meeting, Class of 59, drove from Tidewater Virginia to north-central Ohio and back over 3 days, most of it at night, 8 hours straight on the road last night. Entomology is not what I was looking for.

http://www.the370z.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1339375973

http://www.the370z.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1339375973

I think the Nav system is a bit squirrelly. I had made a stop in West Virginia to drop off a Mac computer to daughter, and asked it for fastest route up to Savannah, Ohio. That has always been, my experience, across river, up Route 52 to 23 and then to Columbus and up I-71 to near Ashland, get off any of several ways from there, no major difference in time. But this thing may have been programmed by the Z Gremlin and took me up through several very winding, hilly backwoods Ohio roads to Chillicothe, and thence back to my routing. It was definitely NOT faster, but more in character with sports-car driving. Car and Driver Magazine uses southeastern Ohio roads as their test bed.

I had sprayed Armor-All's Bug/Tar Shield over front of car before starting out, and it all washed right off. Rain-X on the windshield did same for the glass.

On the way back, by the way, I ran into a convoy of 6 Mazdas, 2 Miatas, 4 RX8s. Must have been a Mazda car club. Also ungodly number of motorcycles on the road and congesting hotel and motel parking lots. No rooms in the inns, which is why I drove 12 hours straight back home. Two hours of which were spent trying to find a hotel with a room, and some additional time cleaning bugs off the windshield. The Nav system routed me a completely different way from prior trips on Garmin--and I think somewhat slower, but hard to tell what with the numerous side trips searching for a bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (58.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by SailFree; 06-10-2012 at 07:59 PM.