View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #66 (permalink)
GaleForce
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Varis Arising II
GaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond reputeGaleForce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
re-posting for mr.gale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce
That picture is love the set up Mr.kenchan

Edit - how fast does it roll off? 12db? 18db?

thanks, mr. gale. roll off is 12dB/octave per their spec. it sounds like those noise-cancellation headphones when you turn this on in a plane. lol

at 0dB attenuation facing the rear, the input level is too hot in the low frequencies and my audio clipped. not only did the exhaust tone clip the signal, low frequency noise from road bumps also clipped it. the physical suspension bands were doing a good job isolating bumps though.

since the mic was facing the rear there's no depth in the sound, almost sounds like putting a mic in a plastic box. my tascam recorder had great depth when placed in the cupholder. (just jammed the unit in there partially wrapped in mf towel. )

so tomorrow im going to try front facing and attenuate by -10dB. will try both flat and high pass filter. i prefer to have no roll off as it sounds more natural. in a car 40hz roll off imho is better as you can maintain the rich tonality of the exhaust. the tascam offers this and real-time input levels, but the rode is just a mic and so only offers 80hz roll off.

unfortunately the high pitched noise is still in the audio, generated by the gopro. but even with the failed attempt today, when the audio was not clipping, it sounded much better than the gopro's built-in mic.

more tomorrow.
So we hook up an external mic and deal with the high pitched noise, or... use a stand alone mic set up like your Tascam for the best sounding option. Is that right?