View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #6938 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
I hear where your coming from Mr. Onzedge. I respect that you have been sober almost 12 years, congrats! Im a bit of a booze hound myself. Although I dont abuse it near as much or as hard as I used to I still have a few beers every night after work usually, a few more on the weekends. My father actually passed from alcohol abuse so its totally in my blood. I hope there comes a day when I can completely dry out, or at least keep it to a social drink once in awhile. I know there are some people that cant even have one or they go off the deep end. I used to be like that and still kinda am in a party situation on occasion. Again, I commend you on being able to kick the habit. It was easy for me to quit smoking after doing it for about 8 years but booze is a dif story. To me its hard to beat a few drinks after a long day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I count myself very lucky that I don't have an addictive personality. I drank way too much at times in the Marines and did my share of partying in high school. Strange it is called that (high school) cause that is what I was most of the time LOL. This was in the mid 80's. I only drink a little bit now and don't smoke the herbage at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketlist2012 View Post
Mr Onzedge.. Congrats on no more drinking... Will power is something that you have...Good Job..

Alchemy..I totally understand..I needed to drink after a long day at work, slaving to get two days work done every day...I need an outlet, and the beer and the Herb was my release.

I also sadly more than 12 years ago, had a run of Meth that I am not proud of..12 years clean...The devil had a hold on me...My will power was stronger..

I would not be successful now had I stayed on the deadly course.. I am lucky in many ways...

And Fire, you sound like you got it together...We all got too high at one time or another..

Remember boys and girls..The Past does not equal the future.

We control our future...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
Very well put, Mr. Bucket. I used to smoke cigs and drink much more back in my late teens, early twenties.

I quit smoking cold turkey, so I also know a bit about willpower. And I don't drink much at all nowadays.
I am not sure how much will-power came into play in my case. I had a simple choice to make back then -- continue on my path and "live" maybe another year, or get sober and try to fix the train wreck my life had become. It's hard to explain, but in a flash, I knew I had to try the latter. Perhaps it was willpower at first, perhaps it was divine inspiration -- I don't know.

I have been doing this a while and I am around a great many different kind of people -- sober, not sober, trying to get and stay sober -- lots of folks. Some people wonder if they have an issue with it and the simple answer is this: only each individual can make that determination. Most believe that you need to hit a bottom of some kind before you will make the effort and for each person that bottom is different. For some it's a DUI, a divorce, loss of a job, friends' nagging or whatever.

I think back to what it was like for me and it was what you could call a living hell. You can’t quit and you can’t keep going. Slowing down meant seizures and trips to the ER due to withdrawal and continuing meant another step closer to doom. Whenever I feel a little sorry for myself nowadays, I take a breath and remember where I was and suddenly today’s issues seem a little insignificant. I am smiling right now as I write this because it is making me remember that each day in the last almost 12 years is a freebie and I have done a great deal with them.

I began this new chapter in my life with a huge mess and it would have been easier to chuck it in. I had 2 suspensions on my driver’s license, no car anyway (except for a non-running 240z stashed at a storage yard), a no-bail warrant for my arrest, no job, all my stuff crammed in a 10 X 10 storage unit that I prepaid for 3 months, no friends, an alienated family and kids, literally 6 dollars in cash plus a change jar, tens of thousands worth of debt and no permanent place to live. Despite all that, I knew it was worth doing what I am still doing.
Today, I have an excellent credit rating, I owe no one (except a small amount on the mortgage, a decent job that pays well for some reason, nice side work teaching, nice cars, my kids who are my friends, and not too much BS in most parts of my life. Maybe most importantly is that I am married to a wonderful, smart woman who knows all about me and loves me anyway.

I apologize if this is too personal or too much off-topic. I have no clue why I even started this. But if you read it, thanks. You are all pretty great guys and gals.
Oh yeah, I pushed the heck out of my Z on the way home from the office today – always within posted speed limits, of course. The Super Sports do love their exercise sessions.

Have a great day everyone and it you are travelling this weekend – watch out for the idiots and don’t be one of them.

onzedge has written