Thread: My 4 hour tour
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
B&W_Evader
Track Member

Drives: slower than before
B&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mines Rd

Made it over to Mines Road last Friday for some spirited driving. This is a much shorter route. Took the one picture at the Grant Ranch entrance. Here, I checked the time popped in AC/DC Back in Black and got a move on. Little damp on the way up so I held back untill it dried out near the top. Came up on 1 Sunday driver on the way up. He was very curtious and pulled over the let me by. Once I got to the downhill it was time to see how the new brakes were going to hold up. They did great! Ran the car hard but not to the edge. Gave myself a little more braking room on the turns with a cliff on them. This road is great because you have some tight sections and then you have some sections that open up and you can go. I kept in check here, no point flying off road from an unexpected bump. These sections give the brakes a chance to cool down a bit too. There's one section that's about half a mile long that's like a slalom. No road markings so I used every inch. Anyone that's driven this should know what I'm talking about, awesome section! Then it goes back into the twisties. Came up on a truck with a horse trailer. Ended up getting a lucky spot in the road where I got to making an easy pass. Next guy was out for a spirited drive too, he pulled off to let me by. My experience with my fellow drivers up here is excellent! You really need to pay attention on Mines though, there were about 10 bikers (bicycle type) on thier way up as I was heading down. I slowed down once I got to the section where there's the occasional driveway or homestead. Pretty funny as I was coming up on the first traffic light, the last car I passed caught up to me. He must of been haulling a$$ in the populated area to do it. This loop, from Grant Ranch to Tesla Road is about 1hr 45minute. Another hour to get back to the start. Give yourself about 3 hours for the complete loop.

One issue I ran into, when I had everything cooking, brakes & tires, it felt like the car was running over pebbles. Is this the XP8s or the tires overheating?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mines_1.JPG (41.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HWY130.JPG (184.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by B&W_Evader; 05-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.
B&W_Evader is offline   Reply With Quote