View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
Fuel starvation is a weird feeling. last month at the track I was low on gas (stupidly knowing this was an issue), about a quarter tank, and a sweeping right turn. I thought I'd shifted into the wrong gear, several seconds later it made a slight popping sound ( or some kind of sound), and all was well again. It happened again on the next lap and then I slowed down on all right handers.

I would think a small reservoir tank in between gas tank and combustion chamber would solve this inexpensively. I am not a mechanic or engineer so what do I know.
Z has a returnless system, very hard to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_ealot View Post
oddly enough on my 2011 i have never had this issue with fuel starvation even when running on 1/4 tank and making long sweeping right hand turns on an onramp going about 50-60....makes me wonder if nissan secretly addressed this issue in the 2011 and up, guess i'll have to wait for some more 2011 and up owners to chime in.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2004Z View Post
I dunno, I have an '09 and have regularly run the tank down below the 1/4 tank mark and have never had a problem even with spirited driving on curvey roads with and without elevation changes. I wonder if there is a problem or defect with a batch of tanks versus the overall design of the gas tank. Someone who has had the problem definitely needs to cut their tank in half and do a video for the rest of us. Any takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmg21 View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news. Kind of sucks that it took 1.5hrs out of your life, but at least things are back to normal. Oh congrats on your wife being pregnant.
Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcoss View Post
I have run my 2012 down to the dummy warnings telling me to fuel up and havent had this happen to me. I wasn't even aware this was a problem.. I am going to fuel up more often now
Iit is a fuel pickup issue. The cup that is used to hold fuel is simply too small. It is part of the fuel pump assembley. The whole part should be redesigned. As far as I know, all fuel pump assembly is the same from 09 to 12.

Btw, the problem usually happens when you come out of the corner, not entering the corner since only a small amount of fuel is being held in the cup. If you gun it and use up the fuel inside it, you are sol. You either get a hick up or you have to get towed.

Z has a returnless system, its going to take more work to install another pump. My friend who designed my trailer hitch can do it, but I am hesitant about blowing another 1k in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz-Z View Post
If I had a car that had this issue I would be really peeved, and taking legal action. I almost hesitate to say that I have an '09, and haven't had this problem. I wonder if the guys on the forum that have the fuel starve problem could compare notes on their builds to see if there was a defective lot of fuel pumps that are causing this issue.

Frankly I think that a lot of the other complaints I hear about the Z on this forum is just a bunch of BS grousing about nothing more than individual idiosyncratic irritations, or misinformed expectaion. The fuel starve issue, however is serious and potentially life threatening.
I wasn't driving the Prius, can't do 170......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
cossie -were you going 170mph and told officer you can go even faster?
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote