View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #2956 (permalink)
LunaZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Project: a white one
LunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
hahaha. ahh i see. like tires are tyres there. 'a fringe' huh? that's a funny.
Bang is funny when you look at the etymology of it's usage.
Here's a little thing I wrote last month:
Sunday Morning Coffee Topic: "Fringe" vs. "Bangs"

If you're new to my chair you might be a bit confused when I refer to your "bangs" as "a fringe". My training with a company that originated in England has me using hairdressing terminology that might be a little different than you're accustomed to hearing. Aside from that, I really think that when it comes to describing the hair that falls around your eyes, the focal point of the front of your hairstyle, "fringe" sounds quite a bit more elegant and glamorous than "bang" or "bangs".

Check out this little tidbit on the etymology of the use of "bang" in reference to hairdressing: ""Bang" continued to evolve, and by the 19th century was used to convey suddenness or finality, which brings us at last from Old Norse hammers to modern haircuts. "Bangs" are so-called because they are created by cutting the hair "bang- off," abruptly and straight across the forehead. And finally, at the risk of offending our bang-coiffed readers, I must tell you that "bangs" as a young lady's hairstyle almost certainly originated with the practice of cutting horses' tails straight across, a style known to this day as a "bang-tail."

I'm not trying to be a snob when I call your bang a fringe. I just want you to feel more glamorous than a horse's tail.

2009 370Z Sport/Touring/Navigation | see my journal for mods
facebook: Be my friend... or not.