Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #473 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Installed Stillen's new brake duct kit today. I didn't bother with pics + DIY. I kinda did my own thing with some of it that involved cutting a fair amount of plastic My thoughts on the kit in general:

1) The dust shield flanges, which are really the key thing this kit gives you, look like they're going to work great. I had some very minor fit issues (more on one side than the other) with the bottom edge of the flange (with the little lip that Stillen puts on that section) hitting the lower suspension arm that's right behind it. Rather than the torque it flat and let it bend, I flattened out a small section of that lip with a hammer to give the necessary clearance. Wasn't hard and doesn't change anything functionally.

It wasn't clear to me whether the supplied ultra-thin shims were meant to correct for factory variance on that particular issue, or to correct on the "other" side (flange face clearance to brake rotor), but they wouldn't have been nearly thick enough on the bad side anyways, so I didn't use them.

2) Zip-ties and wheel clearance: Don't even bother zip-tie-ing down the ductwork in the wheel well until you've put the wheel on and played with the steering and suspension travel. I'm probably a little bit of an extreme case with 18x10 + 275/35's in the front, but it was rather tricky routing it to both cover the full motion range, and not rub the tire at full steering lock in either direction. I thought I had it sorted out before the tire went on, but I was wrong and ended up cutting my zipties and starting over on that bit.

3) Duct routing: IMHO, even following Stillen's directions, things just don't go together very easy. It's not the kit, it's the car. I don't know that they could make it any easier really. Especially on the driver's side, I don't see how merely removing that little 3-snap small panel solves all the issues. You're still going to have to cut plastic somewhere (at a minimum, the slightly larger vertical piece that's accesible from the front, the one you typically route oil/trans cooler hoses through the grommet notch of).

Ultimately I decided that I didn't care much about cutting plastic in the wheel well / bumper interior areas, so I just went ahead and cut holes as necessary to do a more-direct routing of the hose. Mostly the lower inside edge area of the wheel well plastic. It shortened the path and number of bends considerably (I ended up cutting 1-1.5 feet from each of the hoses for final trimming, whereas Stillen guesses 6-8" extra to cut off with "normal" routing and not so much cutting).

The front fang ducts are a nice shape. My factory clip-nut-things that you're supposed to move over to the new fang ducts didn't fit: they were too short for the bolt hole to line up properly. Probably factory variance or year-model variance or something, who knows. I found a different clip/screw combo from my bin of random parts that fit it fine.

Conclusion stuff: I'm really glad Stillen released this kit. It's the first real commercial option we've had for a dust-shield flange attachment behind the rotor. I had a few minor issues with the flange pieces, but nothing that really detracts from the product or was difficult to overcome. The actual duct-hose routing is a mess to deal with. It's not their fault, it just really sucks to route those hoses on this car, and while the 2" hose they selected certainly makes it easier than the 2.5" I was trying to use before, it's still a PITA.

It's definitely DIY-able (obviously), but with the hose routing issues I wouldn't call it an easy bolt-on job. You need to have a wide array of tools at your disposal, and you're going to need to stop and think and plan and re-plan as you go. It's not a "follow steps 1, 2, 3, and you're done" kind of install. Be wary of doing it yourself at home if you're not well-equipped and familiar with this area of the car and maybe even willing to make some cuts .