View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
MKZZ
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z
MKZZ is on a distinguished road
Default Thule roof rack works on 370Z

For those 370Z owners who want to take more stuff with you, here's an alternative to the boofsquire rack. On a whim, I tried to fit a Thule rack from my 2006 mini cooper onto my Z. Much to my surprise it was a direct fitment! The Thule option is a great alternative to buying a new (and usually unavailable) Boofsquire setup and it allows for the use of Thule's full bike carrier (such as the Sidearm or the Bigmouth) which eliminates the need to put a dirty mountain bike tire in the truck. The downsides I have found so far are the weight (Hatch will not stay open), the wind noise (but not any worse than the typical road noise). Also, when setting it up, you have to make sure the rails for the bike racks do not extend too far forward or they will scratch the roof when you open the hatch! If you are considering this option, make sure you buy the MiniCooper fit kit with a MINIMUM bar length of 50" (slightly longer would be better, but 50" will work). Hope you guys find this useful.

Check the pics for additional info. I added round magnets under the hatch springs to prevent the hatch from "bouncing" when I hit a bump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (680.7 KB, 1040 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (84.3 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (82.6 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.JPG (124.4 KB, 581 views)

Last edited by MKZZ; 03-21-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added pics
MKZZ is offline   Reply With Quote