View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
Just don't launch the car, shift excessively hard, and you should be okay. After 2-300 miles, the driveline is the main component still breaking in. I am not sure about these VQ engine's valve-trains, though.

I think starting at 800 miles, increase your "redline" from 4 to 7.5K progressively as you get to 1200. 4k to 7.5k in 1 mile's difference makes no sense and is likely harder on things than a gradual ramp up.

Rods stretch ever so slightly, so lets stretch them a bit at a time, for the sake of the rings/cylinders/rest of the system involved. Same with the shafts in the transmission.
I mistakenly assumed that the procedure created a heat cycling effect, but others (probably you being one ) pointed out that it is more about creating vacuum to improve ring sealing. Do you also allow for coast down?

I've followed this procedure (i.e., what is described by Nissan, other car manufacturers, and two engine builders whom I trust very much) for two different engines, and notwithstanding my flawed reasoning regarding the specific effects, it absolutely resulted in smooth running, non-oil burning, high power making motors.

Thanks for posting the detailed explanation of why the procedure works and glad to hear she is breaking in nicely

I suspect the oil burning and the unusually high temps some folks see in normal driving are the result of poor break in.