Thread: 5.0
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #2580 (permalink)
The Dimer
Track Member

Drives: 2010 PW 370z
The Dimer has a spectacular aura aboutThe Dimer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan8 View Post
at the bickering

Anyway, mustang gents, can you comment on the intangibles with the mustang: how is Ford's service, does it really feel too big, is the back seat even functional, because when I sit in the camaro there is no leg room behind me Also hows the additional costs (oil changes, general maintance, performance parts).

I have the 5.0 in consideration as an addition to the stable *

(*note: add to collection, not to replace the Z)
I don't currently own a Mustang but right now I spend more time in my buddy's 5.0 than I do in the Z(down for the winter). He gave me a chance to take it for a spin and will say this:

While it isn't the biggest car in the world, it does feel big coming from a Z. I'm sure the hood scoop made it worse, but I could never really tell where the front end was and I was afraid of misjudging turns in a tight parking lot. My winter beater is a Del Sol, which makes even the Z feel big. lol

As for the back seats, I would say that it's a 3 person car. It's plenty easy to fit two people on the passenger side while leaving both passengers relatively comfortable since the person riding shotgun doesn't need to be seated in any particular position. I would not want to try and sit behind the driver, he is 6'-3" though.

When it comes to customer service, he had to take his car into the shop for some warranty work on his transmission and basically got the run around on that. He had a bad grind in 5th, they ordered the syncro, then decided not to put it in and just replaced his redline fluid with dual clutch fluid (which didn't fix the issue). But I think service is really going to come down to where you take it. It's never universal across shops, dealer or not.

And as far as additional costs, maintenance/oil changes seem pretty standard and there seems to be a pretty large aftermarket with most prices lower than comparable parts for the Z.

Oh yeah, and it's wicked fast.