View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #66 (permalink)
Pharmacist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z Sport 6MT
Pharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfire View Post
A big thanks to everyone who took the time to give me thoughtful answers to my questions. The bogging down doesn't happen all the time, just when I make right-hand turns at a good clip. It's not driver error. I've been driving stick for 30 years. The revs are plenty high enough. The horsepower just drops out. It also doesn't matter whether it's warmed up or not. It does the same thing.
Are you pretty low on gas when that happens? It could be fuel starvation.

Quote:
If the key fob battery is dead that's pretty disappointing to be honest.
Um, Nissan doesn't even make the battery. They just buy it off the shelf of a supermarket just like you do. It's not their fault whether the battery dies prematurely or not. Batteries run out of power and die, that's a fact of life. Something to do with that pesky law of conservation of energy or something. It's only a few bucks anyway. The battery in my remote lasted over 2.5 years and still had juice when my car was totalled in an accident. Maybe yours was a bad batch of batteries or something. Not Nissan's fault. And definitely nothing to make a fuss about.
Quote:
Same with the mats.
Again, wear and tear item. A floor mat is nothing more than a cheap rag to protect the underlying carpet. Yes, they wear out over time. No big deal. Throw it out and get another one. They're pretty cheap. And be grateful you even got a floor mat. Porsche would charge you twice the Z's price for a Cayman S and floor mats are still an extra cost option.
Quote:
Both should last longer than they have.
Wear and tear items. There is no predicted life expectancy for them. Either way, these are just minor things that cost peanuts. Seriously, you make it seem like the sky is falling just cuz your floor mat is a bit worn out or your keyfob battery needs replacement

Quote:
I actually took the car into the dealer before the warranty expired to get the gas gauge and mats looked at. They said they'd need to take the dash apart to fix the gas gauge and would need to order a part.
They're probably wrong. The problem seems to be caused by the fuel sending units in the gas tank and not the fuel gauge in the dash.
Quote:
I said OK, and they never got back to me. Big surprise there. They also said that they would not replace the mat under warranty. I complained and then they said that their service manager would have to call me. Of course he never did. A month later, Santa Monica Nissan went out of business. I had also just given them $100 for three oil changes and I've only redeemed one. Have no idea if another dealer will honor that special.
Crappy dealers are everywhere. Doesn't mean Nissan is a bad company or the Z is a bad car.
Quote:
The clicking seatbelt drives me crazy. I've tried lubricating it, but it seems to be the mechanism that attaches to the body of the car. If you move it by hand you'll hear the clicking I'm talking about.
I'm not sure what you're doing, but it's supposed to click once if you move it all the way up so that it locks into place, and if you push it down it clicks once as it unlocks and falls down again. If it's clicking or squeaking more than once, or if it doesn't stay up by itself maybe it needs replacing.

Quote:
Again, I still love the car, but as the first vehicle I've bought that cost (a lot) more than $25,000 I expected better build/endurance for some things. I think maybe I should have listened to the old addage of you get what you pay for.
Sounds like you got an excellent car for your money. Go pay 2-3 times the money on a porsche, watch as your engine self destructs due to known engineering defects, and if you're out of warranty watch as Porsche gives you the proverbial middle finger as you're on the hook for the cost of an engine replacement.

Seriously, your tone makes it seem like the engine blew up, the gearbox seized, the wheel fell off on the highway, the brakes failed, the diff self destructed, the frame cracked, and the body rusted right through itself. Yet all your problems are a dead keyfob battery, a worn out floor mat, a slightly inaccurate fuel gauge, and possibly a squeaking seatbelt arm. Hardly anything to lose sleep over it.