View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #9733 (permalink)
onzedge
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 240Z
onzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond reputeonzedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
I tried to install my new cat back system today but ran into problems. I bought a nice new floor jack and two more jack stands so I could do this at home. I sprayed my bolts down with wd-40 first. My first problem nut was on the muffler flange.

All of the nuts were super tight. One of them rounded off and I had to end up cutting it off. those flange nuts are very soft.

Then I removed the muffler and went to undo the Y-pipe. Both of those nuts were super tight. I was able to get one loose but the other one started to round off too. So I gave up, before it was to late and would have to be cut off also.

I thought that I could do this job with regular hand tools. I guess I was wrong. I didn't think that I would have to use air powered impact tools to do this job.

So much for ringing in the new year with my new F.I.
When I did my catback, I had only about 5,000 miles on the Z so I thought all of the bolts would be highly cooperative. This was not the case. As you pointed out, the nuts and bolts are amazingly soft and I ended up rounding one of the Y-pipe nuts. This was remedied with a die grinder and we cut the bolt off. This turned the 1 hour job into more than and hour and a half.

For future reference, and I know this but did not follow my own advice, anytime you are working on anything under the car always use 6 point (not 12 point) sockets to minimize the chances of rounding.